March is Animal Poisoning Prevention Month. Thousands of pets suffer from the accidental ingestion of harmful substances every year. As such, we thought we’d share this article on symptoms to lookout as well as tips on what to do if you suspect that your pet has been poisoned.
The symptoms of a poisoned pet depend on the type of poison that he/ she has been exposed to.
The list of possible poisons include everyday household items like dishwasher detergent, furniture polish, drain cleaners, insecticides. Ingesting things like garbage, lead paint, toxic plants, strychnine, tobacco, aspirin, alcohol, gasoline, rat and mouse poisons, antifreeze – the list goes on!
Even something, that to us seems innocent, chocolate can be poisonous to your pet! Some frogs, toads, spiders and snakes could also be the culprits behind your little fluff ball being poisoned.
It’s also vitally important to read the labels on pet shampoos, tick & flea medication and dips.Cats, for example, can be poisoned by dog flea medications and it is also possible to overdose your animal if treatments are given too regularly.
Some signs that could indicate that your pet has been poisoned include:
The above symptoms can be detected in your pet immediately or could be delayed in some instances depending on what poison your pet has been exposed to and the amount of poison consumed.
You should never take a “wait and see” approach with suspected poisoning. If you suspect that your pet might have come into contact with a poisonous substance, it’s imperative that you get them to a vet as soon as possible.
Ensure that your beloved pets are adequately cared for.
Dr. van Dalsen is our Vet of the Month
The new dog law that could cost you R20,000
Dog lovers: Keen to adopt a Labradoodle?
5 Ways to keep your pet happy during renovations
How you can support Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Month...
Meet our April Vet of the Month